Skip to main content

Stripping a Wire

Message from Norman's Mom:

Herewith an article that I found which is very informative regarding stripping your dog.

I still however disaggree with the facts of WHY they MUST be stripped vs clipped. I still feel that this method has no scientific relevance to the health of the dogs coat, but is purely for aesthetics and the overall image the OWNERS wish to maintain for their wire haired doggies.

Incorrect (private / home) grooming has brought me be so concerned about the (mental and physical) health of the animals. I am also still very concerned about the grooming methods in general that professional show dogs have to endure for the "pleasure" of their owners. If muzzles need to be used, then I question the method. A dog does not bite for nothing, and that is a scientific fact nobody can question.

_________________________________________________


Stripping: Reveal Your Wirehaired Dog's Show Quality Coat

By: Renae Hamrick, RVT
Source : www.PetPlace.com

Do you have a wirehaired dog, such as a Schnauzer, Airedale, or Cairn Terrier? Do you love his bright wiry coat and want to keep it looking that way? If you have the time and are strongly dedicated to keeping your wirehaired dog's coat well-groomed, then stripping might be for you.

What is Stripping?

Stripping is a grooming process that removes old, faded hairs from your dog's coat, leaving room for new wire hairs to grow. Stripping can be done using only your fingers, or you can use a tool, such as a stripping blade. Stripping may feel odd to your dog the first few times, but it is not painful. If introduced slowly and patiently, many dogs learn to enjoy it.

Stripping vs. Clipping

A wire hair has a hard point, but is soft near the base. Clipping removes that hard end, and the soft, faded portion grows farther out. Stripping removes the entire hair from the follicle, allowing for a new, wiry, brightly colored hair to grow.


Stripping is necessary for wirehaired show dogs to maintain them at breed standard. If you are not concerned about your dog's appearance being specific to his breed, then basic clipping is an easier, less-expensive grooming technique, which is perfectly okay for a wirehaired dog.

If you have been clipping regularly and the coat has become soft, it may be possible to restore the wiry coat with several stripping sessions.

The Groomer

Not every groomer offers stripping. Be sure to call around and inquire before scheduling your dog's stripping appointment. Be specific when asking for a strip cut, because it can also be a term used for close shave cuts!

Expect to pay significantly more for a strip than a basic clip, because stripping is a time-consuming, tedious task.

Can YOU Strip Your Dog's Coat?

Stripping is a challenging grooming technique which is more difficult to perform than it appears. If you are considering trying this grooming process, talk to a professional groomer or your veterinarian for some advice. Your local pet store may offer a book or video on stripping.

You can strip with only your hands, or you may prefer to purchase a stripping knife or comb to help you with this process. Wearing latex gloves or sprinkling ear powder (with rosin) on the hair may help your grip.

Below is a basic explanation of the process.

Hold a few hairs between your thumb and the side of your index finger. If you are using a stripping tool, place the handle in your hand, and grip the hairs between your thumb and the blade.

Using a firm but gentle motion, pull the hairs straight out in the direction they grow. Do not twist your arm or wrist. The hairs should pull out easily. Continue this process over your dog's entire body.

You can strip the whole outer coat in one session, which takes several hours and may leave the dog with mostly undercoat for a couple months. Another option is stripping in sections, or "rolling the coat". Rolling is the process of removing the longest hairs and leaving the rest for a couple weeks, then repeating the process. This allows there to always be a new coat growing.

A Simpler Method

If you prefer clipping as your wirehaired dog's grooming method, but would still like to try to maintain a wiry coat, try stripping a little just before the clip. Follow up by "brushing" your dog with a pumice stone once a week after the clipping. This will remove old hairs and stimulate new wire hair growth.

_________________________________________________


I disagree to the reasons (wrt to health of the coat) behind the stripping method. Its all hearsay and not facts at all. I believe people are free to have their own opinions. But saying that its healthy, and it must be done is incorrect. I wish not to argue or fight with anyone. I wish to voice my opinion. And in my opinion, muzzling a dog must be for a (painful) reason, and therefor this method is cruel and inconsiderate.

If your dog does not fight the procedure, then that is great. But if he does not like it, then maybe you should consider to stop doing it. Just a thought.

Happy Grooming.
Norman's Mom

Below is a link to the fairly controversial article which I wrote:
Stripping a Wire Fox Terrier is Cruel CLICK HERE to read more about that.

Comments

erin said…
Hi Norman and Norman's Mom!
I just wanted to say that I agree with you about not stripping.
I started out stripping my Irish Terrier, Keeley, because that's what all the books said to do. It was a lot of work and very time consuming. I hated it and more importantly, Keeley hated it too. It wasn't long before I gave up on it. I didn't want to be the one inflicting this torture onto my fur-child. People tried to scare me into continuing with the stripping by telling me that his fur would lose it's bright red color or that it would grow back curly instead of straight. None of this was true though. I now have Keeley trimmed 4 times a year. He doesn't love that either but at least he doesn't hate it and I don't feel like it's cruel.
Keeley is my first dog ever and I'm finding that I can't take anyone else's advice about how to raise him and care for him. Everytime that I have accepted what someone else told me to do, I've ended up regreting it. I now know that I must question everything, get educated, and then make the best decision for my dog.
It appears that you've come to the same conclusion. I think Norman is lucky to have a mom that thinks for herself and treats him with such kindness.
I enjoy reading your blog!
-Erin (Keeley's girl)
Anonymous said…
Hi Erin,
thanks for the comments. Its so good to read about another 'converter' ;-)

Going a little off-topic here Ive been doing alot of reading and research lately. The opposite of success is not failure, but conformity.

People are too lazy to think for themselves any more. They are content with conforming to society.

In my opinion Id say that failure is much better, because from failure comes experience and knowledge. Conforming to what is said must be done is so wrong (and sad).

I believe the REASONS behind stripping the wires are incorrect. People are too scared to stand up against conformity. Its so sad that the poor animals must be experiencing such torture - by the ones that love them so much.

enough about my blabberring... Back to you and your doggie:
In the past your doggie has experienced the fear of hell when going for a grooming. Now, as soon as the water hits his back, he probably sharts shaking, crying and want to get away as much as possible. This is because he can remember the horror of the past and relates a bath to a possible strip as the next thing to come his way.

Norman (and Beguerah - my other doggie) has no problem with being bathed or showered. Neither does he dislike going to the groomer. In fact, he almost forgets to say goodbye to me when i have to leave him there - I feel like a mother leaving her child at pre-school. (ha-ha).

I think Keeley will need to go for behavioural training. By this I mean, you will have to teach him/her that a bath & clipping will not bring on stripping. Somehow, the doggie trainers will know what to do or explain to you.

I experienced something similar recently. Let me explain to u: When I first brought Rambo (the 3 legged doggie) home, he was growling and barking at me when he was eating. This was a major concern to me - as I was not able to find him a home if he was agressive. So I seeked advice on how to change that negative connotation he had with me being around him while he was eating.

I was told that while he eats I will have to take it in stages.
At first, I must stroke his back and speak nicely to him all the time while he is eating and growling at me. He got used to me being around him - and not taking his food away from him.
Then when he eventually stopped growling at me, I waited till he ate most of his food, then removed the bowl when I was comfortable doing so (leaving some food inside). But then I would return the food bowl with a little extra treat in it for him.
He soon learnt that me being close to him or even taking his food bowl away, was not a negative thing.

Only after I was comfortable with his eating habit, did I make him available for addoption.

He must have had a bad life before he lost his leg, but luckily he is ok now.

Be careful what people say or write, even those who say they are vets etc on the internet. Ive had people lash out at me about this Stripping Issue - several times. It did not bother me, as not once, did any one of them ever say anything that even vaguely caught my interest or thoughts. Im so glad I have this blog. And if I can help at least 1 doggie from the missery, then my mission is complete.

Thanks again for the compliment and Im really glad you changed the grooming routine for Keeley.

Kind regards,
Juanita

Popular posts from this blog

Doggie Outpost

Us fox terriers are very nozy pooches and we absolutely luuuuuurve to stare out the window. Its getting cold and rainy here now, so being able to play outside is not always an option any more. Our bed has now moved to right next to the window. This is where we can have a good look at Garfield the pursian cat next door, and possibly any other exciting furry creatures that happen to pass by our window. Woof woof... how awesome!

My First Post

Hi everyone, my name is Norman, but my family say Normie. Personally I think I prefer Norman, it sounds better. "Norman , here Norman!" hmm, yes Im not too sure about this Normie business. I was born yesterday. My mom and dad took me out of the tummy of this really big monster bird. I came in a small wooden thing, together with my teddie. They said they just loved the way I smelt. They said I smelt like baby powder. So I said, but I am a baby! Anyway, we got into another big monster thing, and moved really fast past many other montster things for a long time. They don't scare me any more, but they did in the beginning. We stopped somewhere and I did my first poop on a grass patch somewhere in a place called Parow. That was really nice of them, cause I was 'dying to go' if you know what I mean. Soon we were moving fast again, untill we reached what I now know as home. I was exhausted from all the travelling, but they introduced me to my new granny (Boogie a Xsometh